Tuesday, January 20, 2009

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

As I listened to our new President this morning, the words to "God Bless The USA" kept popping into my head. I remember singing that song as part of a children's choir and feeling a warmth in my chest and tears in my eyes. Today that visceral experience was revisited as I absorbed the palpable patriotic pride flowing from millions of my fellow Americans.

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
I'd thank my lucky stars to be livin' here today
Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today.
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA.

...Lee Greenwood

2 comments:

Reena Bostock said...

What a great post. I had a tear in my eye during The President's speech and now again. I too am Proud To Be An American. Well said, again.

Camille Rochelle said...

Amen! It was a great day!! :)