Friday, April 17, 2009

The Addict

As I sit at my work desk,
my body begins twitching.
It does not want to be still,

there is a mental itching.

Quite involuntarily,

random muscles are firing,
They want not to be idle,

knowing what I’m desiring.

The urging is visceral,

to deny is futility
The growing monster within,

he demands utter parity.

I give in to the burning,

and go where no one can see.
All my paperwork can wait,

to the locker room I flee.

I open up my satchel,

and get all that I will need.
I strap music to my arm,

and I eagerly proceed.

It takes several minutes,

for the feeling to kick in.
Then I start to perspire,

and feel quite flushed in my skin.

Biochemicals do their work,

and I start to feel weightless.
My body is powerful,

for my soul is now gateless.

As I begin to come down,

off my endorphin-laced high,
Pain mixed with tranquility,

is my reward and the why.

I can feel a throbbing pulse,

slowly fade behind my eyes,
My escapist drug of choice,

is in fact just exercise.

2 comments:

Reena Bostock said...

Did you write that? I want a copy. It's funny you posted that, because I've been running 3 miles daily on a regular basis. I decided yesterday to run 6 instead of 3 and I wasn't quite sure I would do very well as far as time goes, but my mind and legs worked together and I finished with a decent time. I love exercise and I use to make excuses that I couldn't go, but now as a family we make the choice to exercise together and it teaches are children the importance of a daily exercise routine. Thanks for another inspiring post.

Camille Rochelle said...

Very very good Lindsay! And yet another side of you comes to the surface, awesome!! Dad would love that, you should forward a copy to him! :) xoxox