Wednesday, November 12, 2008

charity: water

The water that most of us drink every day is safe and we don't have to give it a second thought, but the next time you take a drink from your tap think about the fact that 1 out of 6 people (that's over a billion) do not have access to clean drinking water. Many of the world’s life-threatening diseases could be reined in of everyone had clean water. The mortality rates in Africa would drop significantly and young women and children could become educated instead of spending the daylight hours journeying miles through dangerous territory for unsanitary water.
If you can, please donate $20 dollars or more to charity: water. It is an upstanding organization that is drilling wells in Africa and has plans to drill many more if properly financed. You can also buy merchandise that just says ‘charity:’ or ‘water.’ The shirts will make a great X-mas present for your favorite charity-case or hydrophile. I'm getting a set for myself and the wife (I'm the water-lover, so guess what that makes Cindy-jk).
The charity's overhead is paid by sponsors so 100% of every dollar you give will go toward establishing and maintaining water wells for impoverished people. Please visit: http://www.charitywater.org/ and encourage others to do the same this holiday season. I'm planning on passing out free water bottles at my work with something similar to what I've just written.
Every little bit helps a lot.

2 comments:

Reena Bostock said...

Just the other day I was talking with some family members about picking a charity and donating towards that charity instead of buying useless gifts for one another for Christmas. I think I was meant to read your blog today! Thanks, Lindsay!

Camille Rochelle said...

That is a great idea to pass out the bottles at work! I'm all over the donation, you are my hero Linds!