Monday, October 6, 2008

OBAMA WINS!!!

That's right, I'm beating the networks to the punch and calling the election for Obama. Everyone is so tentatively hopeful right now, saying things like "do you think...he could really...win?" Yes!-and I for one am elated as hell about it. I don't want to jinx the man as in 'Dewey defeats Truman', but since the Broncos won last week and the Chargers lost, I don't believe in jinxes (see Sweetest Thing blog). Actually, I never believed in curses or bad juji-I'm just sorta rational that way.
The thing is, the American people are starting to see the truth about what this country needs and Obama is surging in the polls. It looks better everyday, but as of now McCain would have to win every swing state (of which Obama has slight edges in), as well as the tentative red states in order to win 269 electoral votes. pssst...that's not enough John.
As for those states that are still boldly red (I won't name any names, but you know who you are), they can't honestly believe that McCain's economic plan will be good for the majority of Americans. I think they habitually vote Republican out of fear:
  • Fear of a black man in the White House-He's qualified, get over it.

  • Fear of abortions-On this issue, no matter who is elected the status quo will remain. John McCain is pandering by saying he will fight to overturn Roe v. Wade. If he does happen to outlive a Supreme Court justice, he could never get an ultra-conservative appointment past a Democratic congress.

  • Fear of losing their guns-You won't. Obama supports the 2nd amendment. He of course would uphold the current ban on assault rifles, but would never strip anyone of their hunting rifles and shotguns. Obama also believes it is the right of local communities and states to make laws concerning handguns (e.g. Sarah Palin once opposed an ordinance that would prohibit carrying guns in bars and schools).

  • Fear of terrorism-Some think that McCain would combat terrorism better because he was in the military. The problem is McCain has a reputation as a hot-head and when international threats arise, we don't need a President who makes knee-jerk reactions. We need someone with diplomatic skills who isn't afraid to use force as a last resort-I believe that is Obama.

Eight years ago, I really liked John McCain and I may have voted for him against Al Gore. McCain fought against corruption in congress and did much to bring compromise amidst a bitterly partisan atmosphere. However, I think he sold out his convictions in order to secure the nomination and get the backing of the religious right or uber-conservatives.

Conservatives see liberals as morally corrupt. I like to think of liberalism as willingness to change. Conservatives have been on the morally reprehensible side of some the most important issues in American history. I'm not talking about a difference of opinion-history has judged them to be wrong. Conservatives opposed the following based on fear of change:

  • Allowing black people to be free
  • Allowing women into institutions of higher education
  • Allowing women the right to vote
  • Allowing black people the right to the same educational opportunities and public services as whites
  • Allowing black people the right to vote

If you can't bring yourself to Stand for Change, then at least allow yourself to hope for it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I LIKE this new blog of yours!! (-:

Cindy said...

I like it too!!

Reena Bostock said...

I agree! I like this new blog. Obama clearly won last nights debate. Did you happen to notice the weird body language by McCain? He didn't even dare look Obama in the eyes either. I find that disturbing. Can't wait to read more in the month to come.

Author said...

Nice blog Lindsay.

I have to admit, I have days when I question whether Obama can pull it off. I really hope he can, but, unfortunately, most of the people I have voted for in the past have lost.

I know it's totally ridiculous to think that it somehow has bearing on this election, but it still makes me worry.

However, if the unthinkable happens and Palin makes it to the white house, our family will be moving to Canada. I would rather live through frigid winters than hear the word "maverick" or see her wink at another camera ever again!