Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What's In A Name? -Part Deux

I think it is fantastic that Barack Hussein Obama is proud of his name and his heritage. I've actually heard people say that his name is a major turn-off to his campaign and that it may affect his or her vote. It sounds insane, but I think we are all guilty of name discrimination at one time or another. I remember hearing that the new President of Iraq would be Jalal Talibani and thinking "that's a terrible person to put in power, we are fighting the Taliban." Of course names like Hussein are incredibly common worldwide, but I think many Americans are guilty of tunnel vision when it comes to name association. Ask yourself, would you leave your kids with a nanny who had glowing references and happened to be named Lizzie Borden? Would you eat at a 5-star restaurant if you heard the chef's name was Jeff Dahmer?....food for thought.

1 comment:

Camille Rochelle said...

You are so right a name really does create a mood/impression before you even meet the person. Of course you know that so well my manly brother with a name stolen by the evil bionic woman! (Loved your last post by the way) My friends into metaphysics go so far as to say there is a rhythm to naming, sort of like numerology. Had an old witch (literally a witch) rename me Cazhmir when I was about sixteen. :)