Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm Voting for "That One"

I recently had the pleasure of attending a speech by Sen. (Pres-Elect) Obama. I had decided way back in primary season that he had my vote and I've listened to several speeches on TV, but I wanted to see the future President in person. What took me by surprise is how deeply I was moved by his words. He damn near brought me to tears!-S.O.B. I had heard many of the things he was saying before, but he is just so passionate about his belief that this great country can be repaired. He promised to improve our education system, but challenged parents to do their part and keep their kids on task. The stirring promise of a brighter future while calling all citizens to action evoked patriotic pride in the crowd of the kind Americans must have felt in 1960. BHO is definitely the heir apparent to JFK.

Obama spoke with an enthusiasm that belied his excruciatingly long campaign trail. He made spontaneous jokes and made us believe he cared about the issues important to working class families, such as health care and education. It wasn't just broad generalities either-he had real concrete ideas like providing college assistance to students willing to volunteer in their communities. No one denies that Obama is eloquent, but it is the sincere emotion and inspiration behind the words that gave me hope that this country will still be a grand beacon of opportunity and freedom for my grandchildren.

2 comments:

Camille Rochelle said...

Awe Lindsay's grandchildren, nice thought! So jealous, wish I could have been with you! :)

Reena Bostock said...

I know I have told Cindy this, I want the first autographed copy of your book when you write it. Seriously you should write a book! You are excellent in speaking and writing. You move me that's for sure, and I'm jealous you got to see the future president in person.