Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tag- I'm it

Fine, I’ll do the blog tag thing…thanks Sweetie , but I can't pass it on because I don't know any bloggers other than the ones Cindy just tagged.

1-I love my job. How many people can say that? As a hydrologist, I get to work outdoors much of the time and there is always something new or interesting to deal with, be it domestic beaver violence (they don’t like being dam evicted) or dodging shotgun pellets from crazed rural residents hurling epithets such as “the gov’ment put a chip in my brain, but I’ll be damned if it gets my water!”

2-I miss school. As I said I love my job and wouldn’t trade it, but sometimes I long for the simple life of a student. Sure, being a student costs you money instead of earning it, but after being in school for so long (yes, I went to college for 10 years and didn’t become a doctor) student life becomes comfortable and it is hard to give up. I miss the camaraderie of like-minded peers and the energy emitted from knowledge being dispensed and absorbed. If you have spent time on a college campus (other than Arizona State-jk) you know what I mean-it is palpable. I think if I went back for my PhD I would graduate a bachelor (Cindy was patient and supportive for long enough).

3-I enjoy Q-tips more than I probably should. There is almost no better way to start your day than a good ear-cleaning. I’m thrifty when possible, but Q-tip brand cotton swabs are one of those products where you can’t buy the generic store brand (I’ve tried and they suck). If we run out, it ruins my day.

4-I love my wife. That is not random, but what is inexplicable is that after 10 years of marriage and 3 kids, the passion has not dwindled. I’m talking about that intense spark that emerged the first time your looked into that person’s eyes and realized you wanted to spend your life with her. I realized we were right for each other when we spent a month back in ’97 driving across the country. We were together 24/7 and never fought once. It was blissful and I proposed on the way home in a secluded campsite in Illinois. Observing other married people I always assumed that passion evolved into a different kind of love that was just comfortable. My best friend tells me we are the exception to the rule, but I hope there are many other couples out there as happy as we are. Cindy and I are still guilty of PDAs, much to the irritation of friends and family.

5-I enjoy math (and many other nerdy things I won’t mention). When I’m on a long drive by myself I’ll come up with a problem that is hard to do in my head to pass the time. I take it as a personal challenge to not use a calculator when I’m doing field work. In high school I was the one that everyone cheated off of during tests. College calculus was a different story though. It’s strange to suddenly be average when you’re used to being the best at something. Higher education is good at humbling big fish from little ponds, then pushing them to strive even harder (or humiliate them until they drop out).

6-I like cold feet. Most people freak out if you put your cold feet on them under the covers…so I’ve heard…whereas I enjoy the visceral sensation, which works out well for Cindy because she always needs warming up. It’s a little odd, but I don’t think it’s a fetish or anything…right?

7-I’m a Bolts fan. I have never been to San Diego and have no affiliation with that city whatsoever, but I have been a San Diego Chargers fan for as long as I can remember. I vaguely remember my dad giving me a helmet when I was very young and that may have been the catalyst. Keep the faith-we’ll get over .500 yet!

Cheers



1 comment:

Camille Rochelle said...

Ahh ha, I get the 'tag' thingy now (silly virgin blogger that I am)! Domestic Beaver Violence...LMAO! By the way your PDAs (Public displays of affection, right?) are simply annoying because they are unnatural. Your wife after ten years should be too fat to sit on your lap, Cindy on the other hand is still little and beautiful *coughing.. b!t$h*, so see that is why is bothers us all, you're just freaks of nature! :)